Friday, March 15, 2013

What Miss Jennie Wong Taught Me About Songwriting.

Why is it we always blame our teachers and parents for our failures? At least I do when when I wonder why I hesitate to share music.

Sitting on the bench of an antique Steinway,  taking my weekly college piano lesson,  I mentioned to my Asian piano teacher that I wanted to be a songwriter. She rocked back and forth in her rocking chair (because it was better for her back than a stationery chair), took a sip of her chrysanthemum tea, eyes shifted to the ceiling. This is how I knew she was about to wax philosophical; a moment I generally looked forward to.

While I watched the baby chrysanthemum blossoms floating in the greenish liquid, like tiny tumbleweeds, she said, "Well you know, there's really nothing new to write about. Most every thing's already been said. Melodies and chords are just a re-hash of past music."

Being a timid twenty year old, I had no reply. What I heard her say was that songwriting was a waste of time; that I had nothing of significance to offer the world.



Now she taught me a lot of great things. Like, how a 5 foot petite Chinese woman could move a 7 foot grand piano all by herself. Miss Jennie Wong wasn't married and had to be self-sufficient with no man around. But by leaning her back against the piano and using the strength of her legs, she could push that monster around a stage all day long. I still use her technique, sans the help of a man.

And she taught me how to use the natural weight of my arms and shoulders to make the piano sound more beautiful. How relaxing improved the tone and warded off tendinitis and fatigue.

She taught me the joys of Prokofiev and Ravel and Brahms.

That a mistake played with passion is better than precision with no heart.

She didn't care for the ostentatious Rachmaninoff and Listz, so they were blaringly absent from my repertoire. Too bombastic, she would say.

But what has stayed with me the most was the negative comment about songwriting.

And it took years for me to realize       she          was        wrong.

People should still compose! 

There are still songs to be crafted, melodies to be made, topics to be sung about.

Every generation needs someone to speak their music language, to articulate the culture of their day, to verbalize the unique issues and struggles they face.

So, Sing a New Song.

Just like David, the chief musician told us to. If everyone stopped writing music, there would only be old songs. Yes, the tunes may be similar and there are only so many chord progressions and tonalities to choose from, but


Each person brings their own unique style, experience, giftedness and personality to their work.

 

And that's enough reason to share.

That's enough reason to write.

Enough reason to post music on a blog,

Sing in a choir, 
Play a recital,
Lead worship whenever you can, 
Share on a website,
Join a band,
Or just sing for your friends in your living room

While they rock back and forth in your rocker over a cup of chrysanthemum tea.


1 comment:

mama cath said...

Hi Angela - Great post! I would have just agreed and poo poo'd your instructor if I had not (finally) watched a KPBS segment of Great Performances (aired 1/1/13) on the natural success of Jews on Broadway. Not having the training you have, I was pleased to learn of the chord progressions you speak of. I think Miss Jennie may have been taunting you with the need to first learn from the masters. She may have feared losing you too early. We are so lucky to have you (and your talent) in our family. Now - WHAT can we do about the distance??? MISS YOU!