Monday, March 3, 2014

The Oscars' "Over the (Pink) Rainbow"




Not many covers of this Arlen/Harburg ballad include the opening verse.

When all the world is a hopeless jumble 
And the raindrops tumble all around
Heaven opens a magic lane

When all the clouds darken up the sky way
There's a rainbow highway to be found
Leading from your window pane
To a place behind the sun
Just a step beyond the rain


How refreshing.  The Over the Rainbow seldom heard stanza captured our ears at the Academy Awards' ceremony, sung by none other than Pink!
She was stunning in her riveting ruby red dress! Crowned by her signature platinum boy-cut.

It was a delicious dichotomy of rebel punk meets Glenda's glittering gown. Of lyrical torch singer meets audacious rock-star; tatted attitude meets poised elegance.

I loved every note of it.

Well, with a minor adjustment in my expectations of correct execution, I loved it. You know, I anticipated the phrasing, breathing, expression and interpretation to match the Judy Garland version.

The aural interruption was like a needle skipping on a scratched record. Pink's breathing in the middle of a word put a twitch in my head every time she did it:

 "Some (breathe) where, ov (breathe) er the rainbow..."

Eventually the mild irritation gave way to acceptance of her stylization that is so very hot pink.

There are just no mauves or pastels with her.  It's magenta and fuchsia that scream she is one unique artist.

She can phrase it anyway she likes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH59OioDdLk

Congratulations to the off-site orchestra's conductor who had a very long baton, as Ellen joked. What would live musicians in the orchestra pit have brought to Oscar night's celebration!!

At first I thought some classic chord changes were missing in the arrangement; like the luscious inner passing tones of the original score and the secondary jazz chords moving on every quarter note.  The harmonic backdrop could've set a dark chocolate layer behind the dazzling diva's attractively jagged vocals.But  after a second listen on you-tube I realized it was the bad sound quality on my TV. Incredible orchestra.

I was able to 'hear' through the record skips and absent harmonies and take in
a
mesmerizing
21st century
interpretation
of
the
wonderful  
Wizard of Oz
hit.

If happy little bluebirds fly above the rainbow, 
why, oh why can't I?


Pink flew over the bright neon rainbow and took us all with her.

1 comment:

april said...

You're making me so sad that I missed it! I'm going to have to learn that unknown stanza. I sing it the boys at night, Carter sings along. That song embodies longing for something more, doesn't it? Love you, Mom! Great post.