Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Letter to My Son on His 20th Birthday


My third son graduated from highschool on a Wednesday and the following Sunday he was in New York City with a couple of job interviews and a friend's couch to sleep on.

He is now in his second year of college, has a place to live and is supporting himself.



Today on his 20th birthday, I wrote to him:

Dear Son,

You are 20 years old today! No longer a teenager - almost a full grown man- making his way in this world, and decisions that a man makes to conquer his world.

You know, it was part of God's commission to Adam in the Garden - to care for creation, subdue it and order it. The call of a man is the same today.  God gave the earth to man - its systems, subjects and soil, to governance responsibly. College will give you the tools to effectively accomplish that commission and to fulfill God's purposes for your life.

I'm praying for the best year ever for you, son; that you would have a renewed mission and clearer vision for your life. 

I can't imagine feeling any prouder of you than I already am. But I'm certain you are going to astound us all with your future accomplishments!

All my love and a very Happy Birthday!

Mom, xxooo

***

I'm trying a different parenting approach this year with my three nearly grown adult sons:

Affirmation, not Accusation
Nudging, not Nagging
Asking questions first, giving Advice second
Suggesting, not Stating the obvious course of direction.

My son really is doing well. But I fear he could stray from his schooling goals in a heartbeat; that fun, friends and motorcycles could distract him from the reason he pays 2/3rds of the amount of my mortgage for a small bedroom and lives 1100 miles away. It is for his education, unequivocally. Oh, and to have a little fun along the way.

We'll see how my method works...

No comments: