Friday, March 8, 2013

Love in the Moment

Humans are hardwired to complain. I know, 'cause I'm one of them. Bent on the negative. Leaning in to the sordid.

Carpe Diem is generally my motto. Grab all the goodness you can get. Access all the adventure that invites. But I find my mind often sinking to all that is wrong with people and things.

I think that's why my daughter bought me a book for my birthday that celebrates all that is good in life.

Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist http://www.shaunaniequist.com/

I haven't read it yet. Perhaps I should. But instead my thoughts took the short cut to criticism.  "Why didn't she call her book, Cold Clementines? Then she would have had the alliteration. And clementines are so much more sweet and tender than the sometimes sour and tough tangerines." No matter that she is multi-published and has touched my heart in her writing.

Once again I took the quick trip to cynicism; the bee line to a bitter comment; a straight shot to the sarcastic.

But I had a revelation recently.

Instead of just living in the moment, which I often fail to do. Perpetually stuck in the past of how much better things used to be, (so my memory says) and in learning about my ancestors and the great things they did, (check out Elisabeth Marbury, a distant relative, who was an agent for playwrites such as George Bernard Shaw-My Fair Lady, and Oscar Wilde-Lady Windermere's Fan, which just blows my mind!);

what would really elevate my thought life and world perspective would be to

Love in the moment.

 

That is to look at every person I bump into at work or shopping or at home and, (what's the word?)  intentionally (such an overused word), pro-actively (that one too), creatively (too artsy)  thoughtfully (too passive a word). Ok, I got it. When I encounter another friend or stranger, I should offensively (That's the word!) counter my negativity, by actively saying or doing or praying something good for them. Offer a compliment. Get them coffee. Serve them. Pray a prayer of good for them. Give a gift.

So I am trying to not just

live in he moment

but to

love in the moment.

What a radical remedy!

The cure for the compulsively contrary!


2 comments:

danae said...

love it! great thoughts here. [i especially love your use of the word offensively!!!]

Mommy Emily said...

wow, i love how transparent you are here, friend. and what a transformative approach: to love, in the moment. beautiful. thank you so much for linking up! bless you. e.