Sunday, July 17, 2016

Letters in Troubled Times - Part Two: A Mother's Reply




Art Credit - Isabelle Arsenault



Dear World,

You are breaking my heart and you just won't quit.  

I'm signing off for the weekend, even though I dread the developments in Turkey,
even as I watch our stateside politics unfold, even though I grieve for France and still for Baghdad and Eric Garner and Alton Sterling.  

You'll move on without me, these next two days while I fast from you,
and you won't miss a beat.  

I'm going to snuggle my babies, connect with friends face to face, unpack a house,
and read my Bible.  

 I'll worship an unchanging and good God on Sunday with a bunch of precious and imperfect people, who, like me are doing their best to figure out how to live merciful and just lives against your insane backdrop. 

 I won't find those answers here, nor will I find peace or comfort on my phone. 

So, World, I'll have to just see you on Monday.

Please behave, and no more headlines for a while. 



Art Credit - Daniel Hotchhalter

Part Two in a series, a young mother who happens to be my daughter, posted this on instagram just about the same time I wrote  Part One of "Letters in Troubled Times," unaware of our similar posts.

No comments: