Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Summertime and Salvador Dali

It's been a couple of weeks since I've written.

I blame the searing summer heat, the culprit that has sapped my energy, so that the bare minimum is all I care to do. Work, cook dinner, pay bills, vegetate for an hour of Big Bang Theory and Fraiser, then to bed.

Pathetic, I know.

90 degree days with 80% humidity have a way of enervating any drive one may have had in winter and early spring. All projects and goals cease and the will to live wanes considerably.

That's just how it is here in Florida. And then the unthinkable happens.....the A/C blows, fails.

(skat Beethoven's fifth symphony).

The next few days waiting for the repair man and replacement unit turn into a couple of weeks. Hence, the soggiest, dripping days you've ever dreaded.

Think of melting wax,  only it's your body losing it's shape, like the candles you take out at Christmas that have been stored in the hot attic or garage all year.  Condensation seeps into your eyelids. Life is slow motion, lethargic, liquefied.

Melting Clock - Salvador Dali
Even inanimate items in the house have transformed. Linen curtains hang heavy, weighted by added moisture in the air. The cotton voile sheers sag. Kitchen towels droop. The tile floors, though clean are tacky.

Everything looks and feels like a Salvador Dali painting.

It's no wonder he has a museum on the west coast of this  steamy state in St Petersburg.

"Nobody in Thailand has air conditioning," says my 22 year old son who spent two months in that exotic country last summer. "This is a way of life for them. They sweat day and night."


The Persistence of Memory - Salvador Dali


My daughter spent a month in the Yucatan

where air conditioning is rare and they sleep in

hammocks for better air  c i r c u l a t i o n.




I was seriously thinking of how I could rig one up in my bedroom. The outside temperature isn't so bad at night, except our patios are screenless and mosquitoes lurk in plague numbers and predatory force.

 A few portable a/c units save us.

Needless to say, I look forward to the installation of our long awaited mechanical climate modifier.

Then things may resume their proper shape and life may get back to a state of normalcy.

I doubt I'll be able to say the same for Dali's paintings...

But that's as it should be.
 




No comments: