Sunday, June 19, 2016

Song for the Fathers Who Have Gone



  
Pinterest.com

I remember holding hands with you
Walking to the grocery store
I remember standing on your shoes
On the dance floor
In my little girl mind you were the king of the world
I was glad to be my daddy's girl

I remember waking before light
Driving to the Hollywood bowl
Easter Sunday, saw the sunrise bright
In my soul
In my little girl mind you could do no wrong
Here's to the Fathers who are gone



Handball games against the garage door
My brothers would usually win
You could yell, sometimes you swore
You loved us in the end
You would play piano
Always the same old song
Haven't heard that sonatina in so long

On my wedding day you never smiled
Losing your baby girl
Years have passed and now the loss is mine
But you left your signature
In my grown up girl mind
You're there at dusk and dawn
Here's to the fathers
Who are gone

So long, farewell
Till we meet again
I'll be missing you
Until then.

 

 

No comments: